Episode "Fury" - Which timeline do the previous episodes belong?

Pulled to the far side of the galaxy, where the Federation is seventy-five years away at maximum warp speed, a Starfleet ship must cooperate with Maquis rebels to find a way home.

The previous episodes are from the timeline before Kes alters the past
33%
The previous episodes are from the timeline after Kes alters the past
67%
Kes's actions had no noticable affects on the previous episodes
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 3

marsh8472
Site Admin

Post by marsh8472 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:54 pm

In the beginning of episode "Fury", Voyager falls for Kes's deception then she went back in time where she sedated herself, poisoned Tuvok, attacked Janeway, started a conflict between the Vadiins that led to massive hull ruptures and boarding parties from the Vadiin ship. I would think all of those events would change the future events.

So were the events of season 1 through season 6 a part of the timeline before Kes went back in time (in the beginning of episode "Fury") or after they stopped her from going back in time (at the end of episode "Fury")? Or do the events turn out exactly the same in both timeline's somehow? The sequence do appear nearly the same in both timelines like Tuvok's birthday, him blowing out the candles.

ssmukhi
Crewman

Re: Episode "Fury" - Which timeline do the previous episodes belong?

Post by ssmukhi » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:31 pm

This is one of the paradoxes created by Time Travel episodes which we don't really have an answer for because temporal mechanics in Star Trek are not exactly consistent. Miles himself said that he hates Temporal Mechanics in DS9.

marsh8472
Site Admin

Post by marsh8472 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:50 pm

Here's a clue

From episode "Phage"

JANEWAY: Wait a minute. The rock is warmer here.
KIM: You're right, Captain. There's a two degree differential in this section of the wall.
TUVOK: There are no natural geological phenomena that could be creating this heat source.
JANEWAY: Let's make a little heat of our own.
(The four line up in the cavern entrance and fire phasers at the rock face. The tunnel appears.)
TUVOK: There was a highly sophisticated forcefield in place.

Episode "Faces" might have a clue

KIM: Captain, take a look at this. Using our tricorder data I've been able to scan the entire planet for the forcefield signature, and it looks like the field surrounds an area more than six hundred kilometres in circumference.
JANEWAY: Is there any way to scan inside it?
KIM: Every reconfiguration I've tried has failed.
JANEWAY: If it's the same kind of forcefield that the Vidiians used the last time we ran into them, why didn't our phasers breach it?

Since the last time they ran into the Vidiians before episode "Faces" was episode "Phage" in the original timeline, in the altered timeline saying "the last time we ran into them" would not actually be a correct statement. This implies that episode "Faces" is from the unaltered timeline.

Unfortunately that could mean that once that timeline was altered by Kes the events from the middle of season 1 until episode "Fury" did not actually happen the way we saw in the episodes.

In beginning Kes's ship collides with Voyager and B'Elanna is killed and at the end her ship bounces off the shield and no one is killed.

Before that too I can see differences in the scenes. Like when Janeway walks out of her ready room originally she's just smirking where you don't see any of her teeth. But at the end of the episode she has a big smile on her face as she's walking out of her ready room and you can see her teeth there

Jenny
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jenny » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:01 am

My philosophy for stuff like this is to assume that everything happened in the prime timeline unless otherwise specified to avoid cases like this or the Sisko looks like Gabriel Bell thing.

marsh8472
Site Admin

Post by marsh8472 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:27 pm

Jenny wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:01 am
My philosophy for stuff like this is to assume that everything happened in the prime timeline unless otherwise specified to avoid cases like this or the Sisko looks like Gabriel Bell thing.
According to writer's intent I'm sure they want us to assume everything happened the same afterwards except Janeway and Tuvok remember in the back of their mind what Kes will do in the future. It's too bad it doesn't work that way :AndorianHappy: