The Adversary - Then who would protect the Ambassador?...haha?

In the vicinity of the liberated planet of Bajor, the Federation space station Deep Space Nine guards the opening of a stable wormhole to the far side of the galaxy.
marsh8472
Site Admin

The Adversary - Then who would protect the Ambassador?...haha?

Post by marsh8472 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:19 am

I have this episode playing now. I usually let the bad jokes go but figured I'd call this one out.

I'm guessing the point of the bad joke here was to show Sisko and Eddington being chummy and we're supposed to use our suspension of disbelief to pretend the joke was funny? Or can someone help and let me in on what's so funny in this scene:
SISKO: Very good, Commander. That'll be all.
EDDINGTON: Captain, I just want to say that I agree with what Chief O'Brien said. About your promotion. It's about time.
SISKO: I appreciate the sentiment, Commander, but it doesn't really change anything. I have the assignment I want, I have the crew that I want. The rank doesn't make much difference.
EDDINGTON: You'd be surprised. People don't enter Starfleet to become commanders, or admirals for that matter. It's the captain's chair that everyone has their eye on. That's what I wanted when I joined up, but you don't get to be a Captain wearing a gold uniform.
SISKO: You could always transfer from Security to Command.
EDDINGTON: Then who would protect the Ambassador?
(they laugh and smile here, what's so funny??)
SISKO: Dismissed, Mister Eddington.
EDDINGTON: Thank you, sir.
Obviously the next person in charge of security would be in charge of protecting the Ambassador. Is Eddington pretending that no one else is capable except him? If so, it's still not funny. I don't get it.

Jenny
Ensign
Ensign

Re: The Adversary - Then who would protect the Ambassador?...haha?

Post by Jenny » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:46 am

marsh8472 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:19 am
I have this episode playing now. I usually let the bad jokes go but figured I'd call this one out.

I'm guessing the point of the bad joke here was to show Sisko and Eddington being chummy and we're supposed to use our suspension of disbelief to pretend the joke was funny? Or can someone help and let me in on what's so funny in this scene:
SISKO: Very good, Commander. That'll be all.
EDDINGTON: Captain, I just want to say that I agree with what Chief O'Brien said. About your promotion. It's about time.
SISKO: I appreciate the sentiment, Commander, but it doesn't really change anything. I have the assignment I want, I have the crew that I want. The rank doesn't make much difference.
EDDINGTON: You'd be surprised. People don't enter Starfleet to become commanders, or admirals for that matter. It's the captain's chair that everyone has their eye on. That's what I wanted when I joined up, but you don't get to be a Captain wearing a gold uniform.
SISKO: You could always transfer from Security to Command.
EDDINGTON: Then who would protect the Ambassador?
(they laugh and smile here, what's so funny??)
SISKO: Dismissed, Mister Eddington.
EDDINGTON: Thank you, sir.
Obviously the next person in charge of security would be in charge of protecting the Ambassador. Is Eddington pretending that no one else is capable except him? If so, it's still not funny. I don't get it.
No clue :D
Hi :3